Friday, September 13, 2013

2013-2014 Flyers Goalies Evaluation


The Key players this year:  Both Mason and Emery are huge question marks.  If Emery can be anything like he was last year the Flyers got a huge steal in Free Agency.  Mason has the potential to be a fantastic trade from last year, if he can keep his confidence up.  I like the idea of going with two goalies this year and having them work together.  Since Emery is older, this may give him the opportunity to really be a mentor to Mason this year.  Mason is young enough that I really think he has the potential to get his career back on track.  He might just have needed another organization to give him a shot between the pipes.

Youngsters on the rise:  Both Heeter and Stolarz have looked good so far.  I really have enjoyed watching them play, and have enjoyed reading about them so far.  I think that the Flyers are actually beginning to develop the right mindset with goalies and trying to build them up through the system.  I can't even believe that I am writing that.

Names that you shouldn't be surprised to see this year: Between the two I have to give Stolarz the upper hand. The way that he carries himself in net is almost as if he belongs up with the big club.  I do have questions about how well he can move around in net, but I think that the time that he will get playing outside of the NHL will really do him well this year.

Overall Evaluation:  I feel far better about this year's squad of goalies as compared to last year with Bryz.  Neith Mason or Emery may be a big name, but I don't think that we have to worry about them being a problem in the locker room.  Even if they don't work out, they are not locked up for millions for almost years on end.

No comments:

Post a Comment